Wednesday, December 24, 2008

AN ATHEIST OF SORTS

'Tis the season, the season I affectionately refer to as "X-Mess". A time of panic, of violence in suburban malls, of depression, of religious extremists ranting endlessly about how the fact that other beliefs are tolerated during this time of year makes the Baby Jesus cry.

But it doesn't have to be that way.

For a while, probably from my early teens up to a few years ago, my feeling towards this season wobbled between indifference to outright hostility. I was at times disgusted by the displays of greed and patronizing lip service to the religious symbolism of Christmastime.

Then I found Jesus.



Just kidding!

Actually, what turned my feeling towards the holidays around is a tradition we adopted several years back. Sy and I realized that it was silly to buy each other a bunch of presents every Christmas. After all, we could pretty much afford to buy anything we really wanted at any time - why not give to people who don't enjoy that luxury?

We usually go and buy toys to donate to Toys For Tots, as well as going to the supermarket to buy some stuff for the food shelf. This actually makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about this time of year. I think that this is a great way to celebrate with, as well as pass on our values to, our son. Plus, it helps me take on this smug air towards all you miscreants who are reading this right now!

Now, when jerk-asses cut me off recklessly in traffic because they're all stressed out from trekking endlessly from mall to mall, I don't swear nearly as much. I barely even wish death upon them. And if Jesus has a problem with the way I spend his birthday, he can take it up with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But I'm pretty sure Jesus would be OK with this.

Have a wonderful holiday, everybody, whatever it is you do. And may His Noodly Appendage embrace you this season!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 25 December, 2008 06:07, Blogger Lyvvie said...

Same back to you! Say thanks to the Christians for giving us a day off.

(I've met you, I didn't get the impression that you could do hostile. You were holding back!)

Hugs to you all *HUGS*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home