Thursday, October 30, 2008

Today, I Voted...*

Today I voted against fear and cynicism,
against a system that casts doubt about whether or not my vote will be properly counted.
I voted for hope, and for change.
I voted against staying up late nights wondering what has happened to my country,
against witch hunts and witch doctors.
I voted for freedom and opportunity, and for the health of mothers, soldiers, children, and the elderly.
I voted for science and the arts, and against our children endlessly filling in circles with number 2 pencils for their entire school careers and calling that an education (although I do, seriously, LOVE a freshly sharpened No. 2 pencil).
I voted against attack-ads, and calling tax cuts for the middle-class "welfare", and against those whose only interest in Israel is it's supposed involvement in the "End of Days".
I voted for unity, and I voted for the notion that this country can once again be an inspirational beacon to the world, rather than a bitterly delivered punchline.
I voted against indefinite imprisonment and a government that spies on it's own citizens.
I voted for paper ballots and accountability and liberty.

Do the right thing. Vote.


*actually, I voted a couple days ago, but finally got around to posting today.

----------------
Listening to: Radiohead - Electioneering
via FoxyTunes

Labels: ,