Friday, December 05, 2008

Return of the FRE, powered by Guinness

Allow me to start out this music-related post on a more, erm - beery note.

Actual Irish Guinness!


For dinner this evening I had a small pizza and a Guinness. I never had a Guinness before I went overseas this summer. I had my first one in the Galway, in Real Ireland. Part of me wants to kick myself for denying myself this by far best beer I've ever had for my entire life, and part of me is glad I remained Guinnesselibate until I was actually in Ireland.

One of my simple pleasures is listening to music after a couple of drinks, so let's get started!

1) "Don't Let Him Waste Your Time" - Jarvis Cocker.
I'm not sure why, but I dig this song. I first heard it on The Current's "Song of the Day", and I found myself hitting "repeat", well, repeatedly.

2) "All Your Way" - Morphine.
Mmmmm...good, dirty, jazzy.

3) "Beside You In Time" - NIN.
With Teeth. I recommend it.

4) "Airbag" - Radiohead.
Another great album. I got into a very serious debate (OK, I was actually yelling at my car radio) not so long ago about whether the advent of downloadable MP3s spelt the death of the album. I argued (yelled) that as long as there are people who view music as art, the album will be around. The radio was a jerk the whole time.

5) "Satan Gave Me a Taco" - Beck.
My favorite Scientologist! Singing about smoking heroin!

6) "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" - Monty Python.


7) "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys.
My browser spellcheck does not consider "Beastie" a legitimate word.

8) "So What" - Miles Davis.
This is a earlier, faster version of the song that eventually appeared on Kind of Blue. It is not as good, so I'll let you hear the good, Kind of Blue version here. About 10 minutes long, but totally worth it.



9) "Wandering Star" - Portishead.
Not a big fan of Portishead's newest album...maybe I just need to listen to it more?

10) "Get Up" - Sleater-Kinney.
From The Hot Rock. I just noticed that the bobPod has mistakenly listed this song as being from All Hands On the Bad One, which is a fantastic album title. The best Sleater-Kinney album, however, is The Woods. Now you know. And now I have to fix that glitch.

11) "Sliver" - Nirvana.
In the interest of full disclosure, the eleventh song on these lists is always pre-approved, not random like the others. This time, however, I lucked out and this was an actual random song. I LOVE this song.

That went down smooth - like the nectar of the gods.
----------------
Listening to: Björk - Human Behavior
via FoxyTunes

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home