Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday random ten feat. Words I Hate

Of all the words in the American lexicon, the one I hate most would have to be "consumer". Let's get this straight, all you corporate fat-cats: I take great pride in the fact that I don't define my life based on the mindless intake and depletion of resources. Steve Jobs refers to iTunes users as "music consumers", which drives me up the effin' wall. I do not "consume" music - I "enjoy" music, it "enriches my life experience".

Hell, even organizations such as NPR refer to their listeners as "news consumers"...what the hell is wrong with "listeners"? Or, heaven forbid, "citizens interested in substantive issues that affect society as a whole"? You know who has "news consumers"? Faux News, that's who - and I'd appreciate it if I weren't grouped in with that lot.

Anyway, on with the FRT:

1. Sleater-Kinney - Heart Factory.

Cool...this song fits well with the theme of anti-mindless consumption screeds I started off with. On the subject of S-K, check out this video Carrie Brownstein did with Fred Armisen called "This Is Nice"...it's nice!

2. Hum - Stars.

This wonderful song is currently being raped and left for dead all in the name of "growing the brand" for Cadillac.

3. Nirvana - On A Plain.

In my opinion, the best song on Nevermind. As opposed to the song that dragged them reluctantly into the old main stream, "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which is probably the song that holds up the worst on the entire album.

It's safe to say don't quote me on that.

4. Coldplay - Trouble.

Well, there it is...not much to say about this one. Let's just move forward to the next song...which reminds me: it's "for-ward", not "fo-wad". If I hear the phrase "moving fowad" one more time, things will happen.

Oh, things will happen.

5. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know.

Not a huge Keane fan, but for some reason this one strikes a chord with me. Needs a nice, Bohemian Rhapsody-esque gong at the end, though.

6. Bjork - Venus As A Boy.

I like her fuzzy sweater on the album cover. There's just no substitute for Icelandic wool.

I hear their hot dogs are good too.

7. Beck - Burnt Orange Peel.

Soon after I heard this CD, I called it the most important American album in the last ten years. I'm backing away slightly from that statement now that my initial infatuation with it is over, but I'd still say everyone really ought to give this CD a listen.

8. Breeders - Drivin' On 9.

I wish the Muppet Show was still on back when Last Splash came out. They totally could have done this song on a rural highway set with frogs and bears and all kinds of crazy, fuzzy shit.

9. Pixies - Holiday Song.

Oooh - Sort of a twofer. And it's not even Tuesday! When I'm king, the classic rock DJs will be the first ones against the wall.

10. Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails.

A Joy Division cover. Better than the original, I'd say, although I'm not a big JD fan, so take that with a grain of salt.

I hope this post has provided a "synergizing", "paradigm-shifting" experience for all of you "blog consumers". In an effort to give you a "value-added, interactive experience", I'll include this link to the industry buzzword generator. If you hear any douchebags uttering the phrases it might generate, let me know and I'll add them to my "Against the Wall" list.



----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - 15 Steps
via FoxyTunes

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 02 December, 2007 17:26, Blogger The Doc said...

Actually I still think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" holds up. But it's definitely not the best song on "Nevermind". I think the best one is actually "Lounge Act", but "On A Plain" is also very good.

 
At 06 December, 2007 04:12, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

the doc - Maybe I've just heard that song coming out of so many frat house windows (you know the ones...the guys who turn their speakers so they're facing out the window) that I have this sort of negative reaction to it.

And I agree wholeheartedly - "Lounge Act" is great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home