Friday, October 19, 2007

The Friday Random Ten

First, and this has nothing to do with music, but it's been screwing with my head since I first saw it, check this little mental test out:



Christ, this is worse than those magic-eye things!



It took me three views to get it to change from clockwise to counterclockwise, and then once I finally got it going counterclockwise, I couldn't get it going back the other way.

So, which way do you spin?

OK, enough, let's get to the musics:

1)Modest Mouse - One Chance.

God, I love MM. So why haven't I picked up We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank? Because mind your own business, that's why!

2)Tori Amos - Cruel.

Ahhh...this is off of her first album to be roundly dissed by critics. I think these critics were pretty unfair - most of the material here is actually adventurous and progressive. Except for that stupid song about Jackie O.

3)RHCP - Give It Away.

There's a special place in my heart for this band and this song in particular. Aside from the fact that it's a good song that reminds me of good times, it was featured on the Simpsons, where Krusty suggests, a la Ed Sullivan, that they change the lyric from "What I've got, you've got to get and put it in you" to "What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you". To this day, I still sing that version of the lyric.

4)Coldplay - We Never Change.

Wow, that really threw the brakes on. I like this whole album, by far the least pretentious of all the Coldplay catalog.

5)Jimi Hendrix - Manic Depression.

By far my favorite Hendrix song. The swirling beat, the driving beat, the bong-rattling bass...what's not to love?

6)Pixies - Ed Is Dead.

It just wouldn't feel like an FRT without either the Pixies or the White Stripes showing up. This is not one of my favorites by the Pixies.

7)The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??

The Oklahoma boys ask some questions that we all know the answers to but do our best to ignore.

8)CSS - Alala.

I can't get enough of this song.

I just played it three times.

Awesome.

9)PJ Harvey - That Was My Veil.

Goddamn, PJ is amazing.

10)Pop Will Eat Itself - Not Now James, We're Busy.

This is, bar none, the best song ever about James Brown's arrest on domestic battery charges.

All in all, a fine Random Ten this Friday. And it was even two-fer free...can't beat that!

1)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 22 October, 2007 11:23, Blogger The Doc said...

Try as I might, I couldn't make the thing go counterclockwise. I guess I need to train the other side of my brain or something.

 
At 22 October, 2007 12:56, Blogger Evil Spock said...

Alala, alala, give me three wishes . . .

Those girls singing in Portugese are so sexy cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home