Friday, August 03, 2007

"Three simple words: I. Am. Gay."

In lieu of the regularly scheduled Friday Random 10, today we bring you a post in the classic "It All Comes Back to the Simpsons" style:

Everyone reacts to tragedy differently...some people decide to dedicate their lives to some cause or another, some give to charity, some spend time with their loved ones, some copulate furiously with strangers. Me: I go shopping. Hardly a manly reaction, I know, but that's just what I do.

After 9/11, I went out and bought a laptop computer. After the death of a friend last year, I bought all kinds of useless crap, including, no lie, a pair of blue suede shoes. And following the collapse of the I-35W bridge earlier this week, I went and got some clothes. Luckily, I did have Sy along with me on all these occasions, so I could plausibly create the impression that it was mostly her doing the shopping and I was just along for company, but deep down I know it's shamefully true: when disaster strikes, I put on my sissy pants and go shopping. It feels a little better to admit it...but not much.

This bridge collapse has touched me on a fairly personal level. Although I prefer to keep to the streets laid out by my drunken Irish forefathers in St. Paul, I had been on that bridge many times. It's amazing that the number of casualties is so relatively low, considering what it could have been.

In a spirit of tribute (and possibly in a sprit of my latent melodramatic homosexual leanings), I offer up this beautiful song by Minneapolis band February to pay respect to the victims and their families:



Labels:

9 Comments:

At 03 August, 2007 14:57, Blogger Evil Spock said...

I go shopping too. I buy lots of stuff when I'm upset.

But I do look good in my new clothes and sunglasses!

 
At 04 August, 2007 14:17, Blogger Shannon said...

I thought of you and Sy when the bridge collapsed. I have some friends who went to Law school (U of Minn?) near that bridge. It's affected them pretty strongly as well...The good news in all of this is that everything from summer collections is going on sale to make room for fall...

 
At 04 August, 2007 17:24, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

evil spock - Ooo! We should have a tea party sometime!

shannon - Yeah, the bridge was pretty close to the U of M. Sy and I were actually driving around (a little bit disoriented in the night) on and under the bridge about a month ago.

 
At 05 August, 2007 06:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's cruel to write about your blue suede shoes and not post a pic!

 
At 05 August, 2007 06:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and encore....more classic blog posts, please. : )

 
At 06 August, 2007 12:04, Blogger Evil Spock said...

Should we wear matching outfits?

Btw, BFF is here this Friday, I'm so stoked!

 
At 20 December, 2008 15:31, Blogger Yu Eraty said...

I'm sorry if I'm commentin on such an old post, but I'm kinda curious: what's the title of that song? I'm desperately looking for the lyrics and I'm having a hard time...

 
At 13 June, 2016 20:35, Blogger oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, p90x workout, wedding dresses, oakley, herve leger, mac cosmetics, timberland boots, gucci, reebok outlet, hollister, hollister clothing, north face outlet, valentino shoes, north face outlet, babyliss, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, lululemon, vans outlet, nike roshe run, nike huaraches, ray ban, giuseppe zanotti outlet, mont blanc pens, ralph lauren, longchamp uk, baseball bats, bottega veneta, insanity workout, beats by dre, nike air max, nfl jerseys, mcm handbags, converse, hollister, ghd hair, iphone cases, hermes belt, soccer jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, louboutin, nike air max, vans, celine handbags, instyler, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, converse outlet

 
At 13 June, 2016 20:37, Blogger oakleyses said...

supra shoes, louis vuitton, doudoune moncler, hollister, links of london, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, canada goose, pandora uk, ugg uk, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, ugg, canada goose, thomas sabo, toms shoes, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler uk, pandora charms, moncler, moncler outlet, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, coach outlet, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, lancel, canada goose jackets, moncler, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, moncler, louis vuitton, barbour uk, canada goose uk, replica watches, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, montre pas cher, swarovski, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home