Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday random 10

OK, so the Icky Thump Review didn't generate an overwhelming amount of discussion - let's climb right back up on that horse and put ourselves out there again doing a little thing called the Friday random ten:

1) Hum - Why I Like the Robins.

Hum is a band out of Chicago. They produce this wonderful wall-of-guitars sound, interwoven with texture and mood. Like most good bands these days, they are now defunct.

2)Beastie Boys - Root Down.

I know there are a lot of Beastie-haters out there...these people really need to develop a sense of humor. I'll admit I was not a fan of 'Licensed To Ill', but they really did a good job of developing themselves musically and lyrically (with the help of the Dust Bros.) on "Paul's Boutique".

3)De La Soul - Magic Number.

Wow, two raps in a row - that's pretty fly...for a white guy. De La Soul is fun...that's all I have to say.

4)Ludwig von Beethoven - 7th Symphony, 2nd Mvt.

Such a beautiful, soaring piece of music - Beethoven is my MAN! I have a post about him coming up in the next week or two...one in which I'll enumerate the reasons why he was way better than that pantywaist Mozart.

5)Beastie Boys - 5 Piece Chicken Dinner.

My favorite under-half-a-minute song, off of the aforementioned "Paul's Boutique". Funny stuff, especially to a Dixiephobe like me.

6)Korn - Alone I Break.

No one writes a better half-song than Korn. This song, however, is pretty good all the way through. But it's Korn, so that will probably lose me some indie-cred points. Hmm...Blogger sems to think that "indie-cred" isn't a word...they're so lame.

7)Hum - Little Dipper.

Ah, the dreaded two-song, one-band phenomenon rears it's ugly head...stupid iPod! Very good song, though.

8)Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.

A classic, absolutely the best song Floyd ever did. Brings back a lot of memories and ghosts. So good, I payed full CD price for a disk with only like 5 songs on it. Yeah, yeah, they're long songs, but that's not the point.

9)Blur - Song 2.

Woo-hoo! Who doesn't love this song?

10)White Town - Your Woman.

You know when you hear a song on the radio and it's kind of catchy and one day you see the CD in a store on sale and you think 'what the heck, I kinda like that song, and it's on sale, maybe I'll just go ahead and pick it up' and then you get home and pop it in the player and every song on it, except the song that influenced your decision to buy the CD, sucks?

That's "Women In Technology" by White Town. I'm reluctant to even place the jewel case next to my White Stripes CDs...they're just in different leagues.

Well, all-in-all, a pretty lackluster effort this week...I blame Steve Jobs and his stupid iPhone.


And now, to celebrate the release of the Simpsons movie, here's one of my many, many, many favorite Simpson clips:

4 Comments:

At 28 July, 2007 05:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big Beastie fan and all of their releases.

Wish You Were Here. Yes, me too. Lots and ghosts of my former self, old friends, places that are no more.

 
At 30 July, 2007 12:03, Blogger Evil Spock said...

That Simpsons clip is hilarious. I meant to comment on The White Stripes album, but I forgot. Just wanted to say that Meg is looking smokin' in that pic.

 
At 31 July, 2007 12:30, Blogger mcBlogger said...

OOOh, I like #9 "Blur - song2"
Is this whole blog nothing but music now?

 
At 31 July, 2007 12:59, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

ag - yeah, I have lots of great memories evolving around Pink Floyd.

evil spock - I love the messy, just-crawled-out-of-the-woods hair!

mcblogger - Yeah, pretty much, but if I feel so inclined I'll toss in a non-music related post...we're not fussy around here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home