Thursday, June 21, 2007

It's Friday...it's random...there are 10

Let's get right to it, why not?

1)PJ Harvey - Highway 61 Revisited.

I really enjoy this Bob Dylan cover by Peej. She takes a classic song by a musical icon, put her own unique interpretation on it, and nailed it. I actually travel on Highway 61 on a fairly regular basis, and this version goes through my head whenever I do...sorry Bob.

2)Beck - Atmospheric Conditions.

The last song on his folksy "One Foot in the Grave" album, a fitting mellow, dreamy send off.

3)Foo Fighters - Low.

Hard to believe that the drummer for such an iconic band can accomplish so much on his own (take that Ringo!), unless you heard Dave Grohl sing "Marigold" back when was still with Nirvana and recognized his talent. Recognize, dammit!

4)Peter Gabriel - Stigmata.

From "The Last Temptation of Christ" album. Nice psuedo-Middle-Eastern flavor, and good to fall asleep to...but not in a bad way. My roommate in college introduced me to this album, which I am to this day grateful to him for. He also introduced me to "Catching Up with Depeche Mode", but you can't win 'em all. ::Shudder::

5)Bob Mould - Can't Fight It.

Ahhh...you can't go wrong with a little Bob Mould. And you can't go even wronger with Husker Du (Please excuse the absent umlauts).

6)10,000 Maniacs - Verdi Cries.

My favorite 10,000 Maniacs song. No, I'm not a sissy-boy, but thanks for asking. I have to go weep softly in the corner now.

7)Veruca Salt - Earthcrosser.

Last song on "Eight Arms to Hold You", their uneven but ultimately endearing (to me anyway) follow-up to the muy excellente "American Thighs". Louise Post rocks.

8)Weezer - The World Has Turned and Left Me Here.

The title is the first line - just like Emily Dickinson would do. I wonder if I'm the first person to compare the two? Great song, by the way.

9)Beastie Boys - Shadrach.

"Riddle me this, my brother"...great opening line. From the album that marked the transition from frat-rock to...well, something else, I'm not sure what.

10)Sleater-Kinney - Buy Her Candy.

Funny story about this song...it's more complicated than it sounds, apparently. Harder than "Surf Song", at any rate.




So...anyone can sit there and complain about how sucky my list is (which it totally is not!) - can you do any better?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 22 June, 2007 08:42, Blogger Shannon said...

My only complaint is that this was posted on Thursday not Friday...oh, and I like Catching up with Depeche Mode! ;)

 
At 22 June, 2007 13:18, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

Shannon- Oops...I cheated a little and composed this post on Thursday, then forgot to change the date and time when I posted it.

Would it be fair to say that you Just Can't Get Enough Depeche Mode?

 
At 25 June, 2007 08:40, Blogger Shannon said...

Well, no, I can get *enough* Depeche Mode, but it's fun to catch up once in a while, if you know what I mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home