Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday not-so-random ten

Oh my...where did the week go? I was so busy dealing with rental property and preparing a wildly successful cheese-tasting party, that I haven't posted for a whole week.

In an effort to make it up to everyone (but mostly myself), instead of the usual format, I'm going to keep hitting fast-forward on the iPod until I come across songs that really pique my interest, thereby saving all parties from the questionable decisions I've made in the past with regards to up- or downloading musics. OK, here we go:

1)Pixies - Something Against You.

I only had to FF 3 times to reach the first entry. This, I believe, is the 3rd song on 'Surfer Rosa', the song where, after two excellent songs ('Bone Machine' and 'Break My Body') where you might start some little letdown in intensity and excellence, but no, this song is even better! By the time I reached this song the first time I listened to the album, it was already my favorite album ever...I'm not sure if it still is my favorite, but it's certainly top ten.

2)Sleater-Kinney - Wilderness.

OK, this isn't the best SK song, but I'll stop and listen to anything off of 'The Woods', even that eleven minute song...OK, maybe I usually only get to the six or seven minute point, but still.
This song gives you a little Carrie, and a little Corinne. What more do I really need?

3)The Flaming Lips - She Don't Use Jelly.

This song offered most people their first exposure to the Flaming Lips, and has some of my favorite bass playing ever. Having lived for a time in Oklahoma, I can honestly tell you that his band is the only worthwhile thing to ever come out of that dismal state, unless you count the fantastic stories of college football corruption, which I do.

4)PJ Harvey - Sheela-na-gig.

Modern day polemic about how women, in an effort to please men, just can't please men. Stupid men!

5)Primus - Jerry was a Racecar Driver.

Did you know that 'racecar' is the same backwards as it is forwards? Palindromes are awesome...a man, a plan, a canal, Panama!

6)Beck - Rowboat.

This song was covered once by Johnny Cash, and is better by miles than anything to come out of Nashville in the past 20 years. All modern day country "artists" should listen to this song and hang their cliche-filled heads in shame - deep, deep shame. In fact, upon hearing this song, Hank Williams ceased spinning in his grave.

7)Pixies - Gigantic.

OK, usually I bitch and moan when the iPod (or as I named it, the "bobPod") deals me two songs from the same band, but come on...'Gigantic' features Kim Deal on the lead vocals, so it's almost like a different band. Plus, this song just out and out rocks.

8)Belly - Dusted.

Oooh, maybe next I'll have to skip ahead to a Breeders song and a Throwing Muses song. Usually Tanya Donnelly is a little tame for my tastes, but this song rocks.

9)BFFs - My Head in Front of Your Head.

The best band in the history of this and all previous and alternate universes sends out a love letter across time and space to the Great Emancipator. *wink and nod to Evil Spock*

10)Luscious Jackson - Why Do I Lie?

Ah, a nice mellow one to go out on. Enjoy your Friday!

3 Comments:

At 13 July, 2007 13:16, Blogger Evil Spock said...

I should do one of these.

Currently the BFF song I listen to the most is Put your hand in my back pocket.

Were they selling CD's at the show?

 
At 13 July, 2007 19:52, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

evil spock - Actually, the power went out on them and they took off before I could even see if they had an CDs to sell. I do know that in August, at the end of their tour, they are coming back to Minneapolis and having a CD release event.

Why they are releasing their CD after their tour, I have no idea.

 
At 17 July, 2007 08:39, Blogger Shannon said...

You know my iPod always deals me multiple They Might Be Giants songs in one setting. I'm not even a huge fan- I was gifted the mp3s. I'd be very happy if for once it decided to send me the Pixies.

You, sir, have a wise iPod.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home