Friday, July 20, 2007

Friday random X

Let's go crazy, roman numeral style!

I. Tori Amos - Twinkle.

I've been to a couple of Tori concerts in my time, and the thing I love best about them is when she sings these quiet songs accompanied only with her soulful piano playing. I've never heard this particular song live, but I really want to.

II. Nirvana - I Hate Myself and I Want To Die.

No Kurt, tell us how you really feel. This is the rockingest cry for help EVER!

III. Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven.

A good Pixies song, but a little overplayed.

IV. The White Stripes - Hotel Yorba.

I double-dog dare you not to tap your foot along with this rollicking number. This is one of the best songs off of White Blood Cells, along with 'We're Going To Be Friends', 'Fell in Love with a Girl', 'Now Mary', 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground', 'I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman"...well, it's a pretty damn good album.

V. The Rolling Stones - Jumping Jack Flash.

Ha - this reminds me of that wonderfully horrible Whoopie Goldberg movie that I watched on cable over and over again in my youth.

VI. Sleater-Kinney - One More Hour.

Heavens to betsy, I love this song!

VII. Ministry - Cannibal Song.

With an intro of crows, rats, and back alley jazz saxophone, how could you go wrong? Well, I suppose stretching a two and a half minute song for over six minutes would be one way.

VIII. Weezer - No One Else.

This song reminds me of a friend who would regularly, in the same breath, say that he wanted a strong, independent woman in his life, but also wanted a woman who would be so committed to him that she would set aside her interests to help him in his aspirations for a musical career...funny guy, that one.

IX. Rage Against the Machine - Darkness.

Why can't these boys just sing a happy song every now and again? Maybe a 'Happy, Shiny People' cover or something?

X. Primus - Those Damned Blue Collared Tweekers.

Having lived in a few small towns in my life, I can certainly appreciate some of the sentiment in this song.


Feel free to drop in your own FRT if you wanna...

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 21 July, 2007 10:37, Blogger Shannon said...

I just iTuned Start Wearing Purple, btw, and have been dancing around my room singing to the dog. I shit you not. Have you heard the new White Stripes yet?

 
At 21 July, 2007 23:54, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

shannon - Well, I've heard 'Ickey Thump' and 'Rag and Bone' and one other I think. I haven't picked it up yet, but it's on my to-do list.

And I'm so happy to hear about your Gogol Bordello love!

 
At 22 July, 2007 11:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually don't have much to say about music, so please don't take my silence to mean I am not enjoying your posts! (I miss your old blog.)

 
At 23 July, 2007 21:10, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

shannon - I just bought 'Icky Thump' - review to follow soon.

ag - Yeah, I kind of got a little burned out on my old blog...but I'm considering maybe dropping in an occasional 'classic' post.

 
At 23 July, 2007 22:49, Blogger Evil Spock said...

Hotel Yorba is my fave White Stripes song. So danceable.

 
At 24 July, 2007 12:21, Blogger Evil Spock said...

Hey Bob, didn't know if you had these three MP3's, but this website has three BFF songs not available on BFF's MySpace.

no one is awake: music for listeners

I like the BFF Theme Song.

 
At 24 July, 2007 13:42, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

evil spock - Thanks for the link! I have 'How BFF Breaks It Off With Movie Stars' on the iPod, but I didn't have 'The BFF Theme Song' and I hadn't even heard '2081' before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home