Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday random ten

Come on baby, daddy needs a new pair of everything:

1) Beastie Boys - Jimmy James.

This song lifts a sample from the ubiquitous (I can't believe I spelled that right on the first try!) drums of "Happy Birthday" by Jimi Hendrix, and it just doesn't get much better than that.

2) Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have.

Well, that's a comedown. I had this CD on heavy rotation the year it came out, and haven't really played it much since. This song holds up well, even for a cynical member of Generation X such as myself.

3) Bjork - Violently Happy.

This FRT is turning into a real roller coaster. Twists and turns, fast then slow then fast again. Do you want to go faster? Raise your hands if you want to go faster!

4) Third Eye Blind - How's It Going To Be?

I have an unexplainable soft spot in my heart for this band...on paper, I should hate them. But Lord help me, I don't. I know what I hate, and I don't hate this.

5) Pixies - Vamos.

Without a doubt, my all-time favorite bilingual song. I have great memories of speeding down a deserted Wisconsin highway in the dead of night in a car jammed full of people on a mission to find out why they don't put Spam in the meat department. Here's a video, featuring Frank Black and Kim Deal looking like your parents:


6) Soul Coughing - $300.

I think this is from the band's farewell album, before their singer left like so much Natalie Merchant. Now he's playing very small college venues. Sad, really.

7) Sleater-Kinney - Wilderness.

Another farewell offering. These ladies are now on an "indefinite hiatus", a goal to which I aspire.

8) Portishead - Wandering Star.

These guys have a license to be awesome, and they exercise it with extreme prejudice. Whatever that means. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

9) Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 8 Pathetique, 2nd movement

I'll spare you the jokes regarding a "second movement", and just tell you that I impressed myself by being able to name this piece without visual confirmation. Yes, I'm good...plaque good.

10) White Zombie - Super Charger Heaven.

And our roller coaster rockets through the tunnel of Hell before coming to a stop in front of a buncha corndog- eatin' yokels. Please wait until the ride has come to a complete stop before exiting, and we'll see you next week...if you dare!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 17 August, 2007 15:50, Blogger The Doc said...

Man, that was a crazy FRT.

Just wanted to say about Third Eye Blind. I really dislike that band. But, at the same time, I love one of their songs. "Anything" is just a great song, and I wish it wasn't by them so much.

 
At 18 August, 2007 10:01, Blogger Shannon said...

I'm going to ignore Third Eye Blind and ask, instead, why do they not put spam in the meat department?

 
At 18 August, 2007 11:40, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

the doc - I know...isn't it frustrating as hell?

shannon - We were told by a glassy-eyed, blood-soaked butcher that if it isn't in the meat department, it isn't meat.

 
At 20 August, 2007 21:34, Blogger Shannon said...

Didn't you mean "ain't meat?"

 
At 21 August, 2007 13:21, Blogger Evil Spock said...

What about potted meat? Evil Spock ate that on a dare in college.

Disgusting.

 
At 21 August, 2007 16:13, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

potted meat ain't meat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home