Monday, January 07, 2008

Don't call it a comeback...

Wow. What a trying month away from the blogosphere. Well, not really so much trying as it was busy. Actually, sort of busy and sort of not really feeling inspired to write much of anything.

But, mark my words, I shan't leave you all again for such a long period of time. That is my guarantee. Well, not so much a guarantee as a promise. Hmmm..."promise" is such a strong word - how about I call it my goal. No, not really an actual goal, more of a "I'm going to try until I give up" kind of deal. What's the phrase I'm looking for?

Ah, yes. New Year's Resolution! I resolve to keep on writing and posting and everything until I decide to throw whatever readership I haven't already pissed away onto the heap of discarded exercise equipment and A.A. pamphlets.

Speaking of promises unfulfilled, I believe I owe everyone some album reviews. Let's start with PJ Harvey's White Chalk.

This album was released in the States back in early October, I believe, and I didn't actually hear anything off of it until mid-October, on my way back from a pumpkin carving party. As I listened intently, I knew one thing for sure: I really had to up my game if I wanted to win the pumpkin carving contest next year. Man, I really mailed it in this year. Anyway, back to Peej.

When I first pushed play on my CD player, I was greeted by these weird, ethereal Beach Boys-esque piano chords. Had I not read up on this album before I played it, this might have come as quite a shock. There is no wailing or shrieking on this album, and piano. rather than guitar, is the instrument of choice. However, I did read up, so I guess the joke is on her.

I'm not going to do a song by song breakdown like I usually do. What I am going to do is just let you know that the more you know about PJ, the more you can appreciate this album. Of course, having just started playing piano a year or two ago, she is no virtuoso. At times, her playing reminds me of the times I'd go to my son's piano recitals and listen to child upon child struggle and fumble through pieces, nearly losing it but somehow pulling through with a recognizable, even gutsy, performance.

I admire Ms. Harvey's ambition and willingness to experiment and explore, and I think that these traits come through in many of her songs. She's really pulled together an honest-to-goodness album here, an increasingly rare feat in these days dominated by single-song downloads and you kids with your long hair and your salads with arugula in them. Arugula! In my day salads had iceberg lettuce, one mealy tomato slice, and, if you were lucky, maybe some vinegar for dressing. Arugula!

Anyway, I recommend this album for it's inventiveness, bravery, and for the fact that PJ is bringing back Victorian chic. Check it out:



----------------
Now playing: PJ Harvey - White Chalk
via FoxyTunes

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 08 January, 2008 17:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your absence made me feel sad, not mad.

Victorian chic, nice!

 
At 09 January, 2008 20:39, Blogger Shannon said...

I always read, forget to comment, and then wonder if you aren't blogging because you aren't receiving comments. In a selfish way, I feel responsible for your blog. As if the blogosphere revolves around my existence in it...

I'm surprised...I like White Chalk much better than Uh Huh Her. I don't know why. I guess it's the melancholic nature of her piano? Maybe it's just the mood I've been in?

 
At 10 January, 2008 01:57, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

ag - Good to know I'm missed. Victorians sure knew how to make those sleeves puffy!

shannon - Actually, I've just been alternatingly lazy then busy...but I like the idea that I can just blame my lack of output on someone else. Thank you for being my excuse!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home